CDS Student Voices & Inspirations: One Word’24

Giving Day is a one-day online fundraising event where Terriers from around the world - alumni, parents, students, faculty, staff, and friends - come together to give back and celebrate what they care most about the BU community.

In the spirit of Giving Day 2024, the Faculty of Computing and Data Sciences is spotlighting five data science students from our undergraduate, graduate, and postdoctoral programs to reflect on their educational experience, the CDS community, and what CDS means to them.

Oghenerukevwe Omusi (CDS ‘25)

If you were to describe CDS in one word, what would it be?

Limitless

What does CDS mean to you?

To me, CDS means opportunity. Anyone from any discipline can come to CDS and get something out of it, whether that be a CS, DS, or Math & Statistics major/intern interacting with their respective floors, a student with a business or technical idea going to BU Spark!'s X-Lab and starting a real-world project, a robotics student at BuildLab, or even people who want to destress in one of the building events, such as yoga.

What inspired you to pursue a career in data science?

I was initially planning on doing computer science but the prospect of staying within this kind of technical field without having to take a language piqued my interest. My DS peers at Spark! won me over to majoring in Data Science and it's been my career choice ever since. Classes like DS210 and DS320 gave me insight into working with data in the real world, teaching me about the data science lifecycle, data cleaning, data transformation, business analysis, etc.

Tye Robison (CDS ‘26)

If I had to describe CDS in one word, it would be “dynamic”. The community in CDS seems to be continuously evolving and adapting as it expands throughout all facets of BU campus.

What does CDS mean to you?

To me, CDS serves as a community of individuals and friends who strive to expand their careers and knowledge via camaraderie and mutual support. Each member is dedicated to a collective journey towards excellence in which we all contribute unique skills and insights In such a rapidly evolving field. We are a dynamic network that inspires and challenges one-another to succeed intellectually and professionally.

I was inspired to pursue a career in data science due to the impact technology, Al, and machine learning has demonstrated in today's society. I am excited to be a part of such a rapidly growing industry with the capability for global impact.

Jasmine Pham (MSCDS ‘24)

Sustainable

What does CDS mean to you?

CDS plays a vital role in supporting my pursuit of data science. Through its rigorous curriculum, I get to not only learn the algorithmic foundation of cutting-edge data techniques but also practice my skills through multiple hands-on projects. Moreover, at CDS, I have the chance to meet inspiring individuals with diverse backgrounds and expertise, providing valuable opportunities for collaboration and growth.

My pursuit of data science came from my fascination with deriving actionable insights from raw data to tackle real-world problems. While I have always had a proclivity for quantitative work, what ultimately drives me forward is the idea of making meaningful and sustainable impacts. Data science is where my skills and passion perfectly blend together. During my past working experience, data science equipped me with a toolkit to not only make strategic business decisions but also address racial disparities and improve population health outcomes. These experiences further fueled my interest in the field and motivated me to pursue a higher education in data science.

Zachary Gentile (CDS ‘26)

If I had to describe CDS in one word, it would be "innovative".

What does CDS mean to you?

CDS has single-handedly changed my life. It has provided me with life changing opportunities and an amazing community in addition to a strong education.

I was inspired to pursue a career in data science by observing how much machine learning and AI has impacted our lives in just a few years. As time goes on, AI will rapidly become more of an integral part of daily life. I think that is inevitable, and I want to help make sure that this technology will be created ethically and in our best interests.

Seth Villegas, CDS Postdoctoral Researcher

Collaboration. CDS is working to make it possible for faculty and student to collaborate across their normal disciplinary boundaries. I am really looking forward to seeing what research will come out of these efforts.

What does CDS mean to you?

I had the unique opportunity to see the inception of CDS back when it was just a radical idea: is there a way to bring together faculty and students around a set of skills rather than by subject? I think that the CDS decision to bring together different people from all across the university has been immensely beneficial. There are new initiatives going on all the time. It has been an exciting thing to be a part of.

My primary specialty isn't in data science, but in ethics. When I was asked to weigh in on what CDS would be going forward, ethics was a major part of the intended curriculum. Issues in the ethics of technology, especially given all the new developments in Generative AI, are among the most important today. Those issues have already affected students, so it has been great to facilitate class discussions around technologies that impact the student experience.

Mellissa Tan, BU Faculty of Computing & Data Sciences Communications Specialist

Charles McGinn, BU Faculty of Computing & Data Sciences Communications Specialist