CELOP Current Student – John Medina Vanegas, Colombia

in Highlight
July 11th, 2019

CELOP Current Student John Medina Vanegas

1. What is your name?

John Medina Vanegas

2. Where are you from?

I’m originally from Medellin, Colombia but was raised in a little island in the Caribbean Sea (also belonging to Colombia) called San Andres.

3. What program are you currently enrolled in at CELOP?

I’m currently enrolled in the intensive 25 hours a week program. This program has been a great tool for me to improve my English as I spend most of my day practicing essential skills such as grammar or speaking constantly

4. What’s your favorite place on campus at Boston University?

The lobby here at CELOP is really comfy and friendly. You get to hear different stories from students all day long, making this place even more attractive.

5. What do you like most about CELOP?

CELOP is overall a complete experience for whoever is planning on coming You really get to evolve as an English speaker in this environment. CELOP also offers help for most of your needs. From the friendly staff to the students, it all feels welcoming.

6. Why did you choose CELOP?

My dad, cousins and sister have been here. Even if this was not the case, CELOP is a renowned and respected institution in Boston. Almost everyone that I speak to outside CELOP has something to say about it.

7. Where did you attend college for your undergraduate degree? What was your major and when did you graduate?

I just graduated high school and I am currently interested in the business program here at Boston University for next year.

8. Tell us about what you want to do in the future. What is your dream job?

In the future, I would like to be an example for the people on my island. Besides that, helping my community grow to be an example in environmental and entrepreneurial practices all around the world.

9. What is your favorite thing to do in Boston?

I love the Prudential Center. The environment is exquisite. Plus, you get to see many shops with exceptional quality and service to customers.

10.What is your favorite restaurant in Boston?

KAVA neo-taverna has been my favorite restaurant in Boston for some years now. Its delicious Greek cuisine is to die for. Plus, its location is newcomer friendly.

11. What would you tell someone who is thinking about studying at CELOP but is unsure?

Please do not hesitate! CELOP is all you need to improve your English level in all areas. As a student coming from a completely different environment than Boston, CELOP helped me gain confidence and be conscious that I have a place where I’m always going to feel welcomed.