CFD Team Spotlight: Emily Rotondi, Student Fellow

The Newsletter Team sat down for an interview with one of our student researchers, Emily Rotondi, for an interview about her work, passions, hobbies, and special CFD projects. The transcript of our interview is below.

CFD Team: Tell us a bit about yourself.

I was born and raised in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, and proudly consider myself a Pittsburgher. However, since moving to Boston, I’ve come to cherish this city and the friendships I’ve formed here in ways I never could have imagined. Currently, I am a sophomore studying Political Science with a minor in Spanish and Data Science.

CFD Team: What is your role within the Center?

I am a research assistant for the CFD. Currently I am conducting a systematic literature review on the maternal welfare of Afghan Refugees in Pakistan. This includes looking at articles relating to but not limited to pre and post natal care, gender based violence, contraception, maternal mortality rate, nutrition, and access to medical services.

CFD Team: What experiences most directly led you to your role with the Center?

The summer after I graduated from high school, I was awarded a State Department scholarship to study Tajiki (a Persian dialect) and live in Tajikistan, a neighboring country to Afghanistan. While abroad, I learned about how the Afghan refugee crisis was impacting Tajiks and the challenges Afghan refugees faced to gain asylum into the United States. These experiences led to my interest in forced displacement, especially within Central Asia. When I returned to the United States, I knew I wanted to get involved with refugee work, and once I discovered the CFD, it seemed like the perfect avenue to work with forced displacement in an interdisciplinary setting.

CFD Team: What inspires you about this work?

Sometimes, I feel as though forced displacement can seem like an endless issue, and it can be easy to feel discouraged when considering its magnitude. However, when I attended the CFD open house, I felt a new sense of encouragement about the work being done and the future possibilities. Simply working with and being surrounded by individuals so passionate and thoughtful about their projects has inspired me greatly in my own work both within and outside of the center. I consider myself fortunate to be part of a team that is so inspiring and creative, and to be working with a center dedicated to making a difference during a time when positive change can seem hard to come by.

CFD Team: Tell us about some of your passions and hobbies outside of academia. What makes you, you?

Outside of academia, I love taking advantage of living in such an exciting city. As a self-declared foodie and coffee lover (or let’s be real, more likely a coffee addict), one of my favorite ways to explore Boston is by trying new restaurants and cafes, and I’m fortunate enough to have friends who are equally passionate about taking advantage of the city we’re in.

CFD Team: Where do you see yourself in five years?

When I was younger, I thought that by the time I reached college, I would have found the answer to this question, but even halfway through college, it is still just as challenging for me to answer if not more! Working on this research has made me realize how much I enjoy doing this type of work and being surrounded by people passionate about academia. However, I would also love to do something that has a more direct impact on people, possibly in a less academic setting. I think ideally, I could find a career avenue that combines the two.

CFD Team: What drew you to this position?

I discovered the CFD by chance. A friend of mine mentioned they were going to attend the CFD open house last fall, and curious about what the center was, I decided to tag along. When I attended the open house, I remember leaving feeling energized by the knowledge and enthusiasm each CFD member displayed for their work, and I was immediately interested in finding a way to get involved. I even called my roommate expressing how excited I felt just hearing about the different work and projects being done. I consider myself extremely grateful to have attended the open house and to be involved in this work.

CFD Team: Can you tell us a fun fact about yourself/can you tell us about something you’re proud of?

Since moving to Boston, one of the things I’ve been really trying to get into is running (however, it’s been a slow journey). Before college, I had played sports my whole life, but ironically, I was adamant that I would never be a runner. I even told my mom that if I became a runner after moving to Boston, she should be concerned because running and I simply weren’t meant to be. However, that promise didn’t even last until the end of freshman year when the esplanade had already become my course. Unlike the team sports I used to play, I’ve found that I love running for myself and to explore the city, although I may not be in the Boston Marathon just yet.