Seven Questions with Alumna Lola Adeosun

Lola Adeosun (CGS’16, CAS’18) majored in English, was a CGS Dean’s Host, and interned with the state of Massachusetts. Now, she’s bringing her passion for education to a career at a nonprofit supporting school funding in Washington, D.C. We caught up with Lola to talk about her career, her aspirations, and how CGS helped her get to where she is today.

What have you been doing since you graduated from BU?

I have been working on my career as well as myself. I’ve reflected, traveled, learned, and explored different interests in order to figure out who I am outside of structures like work or school. We are more than our occupations and having a sense of personal identity is very important to me. For my career, I worked in law as a trademark paralegal for a year. Now, I am at the DC Public Education Fund where I am a Program Associate doing grant portfolio management. Our mission is to raise private investments for DC Public Schools so that DC students receive high quality education and programming.

Adeosun at the DC Public Education Fund’s annual gala, Standing Ovation.

Why did you choose that pathway?

I have always been interested in law and education. I did pre-law and mock trial while in CGS, had a few legal internships, and worked extensively in higher education administration. I was a FYSOP Coordinator in 2016 for the Children group that was focused on education reform and access. We centered learning around how the individual child flows through the different systems in their life, especially the education system. Post grad, I focused on law for one year and then intentionally joined an organization immersed in education. It feels good to work towards a mission greater than myself.

How did your time at CGS help prepare you for what came after graduation?

CGS helped build my teamwork and networking skills, as well as build connections with professors. The Capstone thesis gave me the opportunity to create and argue for a hypothesis, and use my writing skills. It was a valuable experience that I referred to later on with my thesis in English. Also, Rhetoric 101 helped me with public speaking, debate, and formulating an argument.

What are your goals and aspirations for your career?

One of my goals is to have a sense of altruistic purpose. I believe in advocating for marginalized groups and giving back to one’s community. I also desire financial stability, independence, and literacy. Lastly, I’d want flexibility, most likely a career that looks different than the traditional 9-to-5. I am headed to graduate school next fall as the next step in my career!

What extracurriculars, internships, or other out of the classroom experiences were most valuable to you as a CGS student?

Adeosun at the Annual Legislative Conference held by the Congressional Black Caucus

Because I was interested in law, I was an author for the Pre-Law Review and competed in mock trial. I was also a Dean’s Host for CGS, where I enjoyed meeting and talking to prospective students. I was a Student Ambassador for the Center for Career Development and Education Resource Center where I was amid higher education administration. I was a part of the African Students Organization which gave me community and the opportunity to explore my Nigerian culture. I started off as a member, then the PR manager and in senior year, I was a co-president. I also interned with the Massachusetts House of Representatives.

What was your favorite part about your CGS experience?

My favorite part was the small class sizes. CGS feels like a small liberal arts college, which was a home base for me at a huge research school like BU. I also love the relationships I made as well. I am still connected with my advisor and a professor, and I am still friends with students on my team!

If you could give one piece of advice to current CGS students, what would you say?

I would say to explore with electives. You may feel like you have to stick with a pathway, which is great if you know for sure that you want to follow it. But don’t be afraid to take classes in other schools to confirm that this is the field you want to go into. I recommend trusting your gut and following your interests. Join the club or the class that has sparked interest. Just go for it! College is a transformative experience and you should take advantage of every opportunity available to you. Overall, just be open and explore.

— Compiled by Natalie Seara

Are you a young alum who would like to be featured in Seven Questions? Email us at cgscomm@bu.edu.