O’Shea Bridges

BU MET’s “Perfected Online Experience” Helps MSCIS Student Gain Technical Leadership Skills

Systems Engineer, Engineering Leadership Development Program, Lockheed Martin
MS in Computer Information Systems, concentration in IT Project Management (MET’19); BBA, Middle Tennessee State University

What compelled you to return to school and pursue a graduate education? What is your long-term objective?
In returning back to school to pursue a graduate education, my goal has been to enhance my knowledge and experience in the engineering and technology industry, so that I can grow as a subject-matter expert within my corporation and as a leader. Long-term, my objective is to build an enterprise centered on software tools that can enhance the way the software community is able to work efficiently and effectively.

Why did you choose BU MET for your graduate studies? What set MET apart from other programs you were considering?
BU MET provides a graduate experience that allows its students to learn from professors who are industry experts and benefit from a diverse set of worldwide classmates. Unlike the other programs I considered, Boston University seemed to have perfected the online experience—allowing students to feel empowered in their studies through the resources the school provides. Before deciding to attend BU, my research on the program concluded that the professors take interest in their students’ personal and professional goals, and are dedicated to helping students achieve those goals. That made the difference.

What has been your experience with online learning?
I was skeptical to take online courses prior to attending BU, largely due to the lack of physical, face-to-face interactions with classmates and professors. However, the way BU has constructed its online learning programs put all of my fears at ease. Collaborative tools such as Blackboard and Zoom allowed for a seamless educational experience throughout all my courses. Having recorded lectures is a huge advantage—it accommodates students with families and/or full-time jobs whose time is limited. The recordings gave me the opportunity to dissect professors’ lessons, which was vital in learning the concepts of my courses.

I also had some concerns about whether I would be able to get one-on-one support from instructors, but every professor I have had has been available to answer any questions that I may have—either over the phone, through Zoom, or through email. In the rare case that the professors aren’t available, course facilitators are also well-equipped to answer any questions through multiple mediums of communication.

How do you apply concepts you are learning in your courses at MET in your current job?
As a systems engineer working on the Autonomic Logistic Information System (ALIS) Joint Strike Fighter (JSF) program, BU’s MSCIS program has equipped me with the right tools and resources to become an influential technical leader within my industry. The courses force students to think outside of the box and develop strong technical strategies when problem-solving. Also, I learned that in a software-based career, I may have to manage or lead a team that is distributed across the globe. The online nature of my courses prepared me to understand how best to collaborate when working remotely to be both effective and efficient when working towards a common goal.

Is there a particular faculty member from your courses who has enhanced your experience at MET? Who and why?
BU MET has so many professors that make the MSCIS program such a phenomenal experience that it is hard to highlight just one. Instead, I would like to give attention to four: Adam Arakelian, Rachel Alt-Simmons, Raj Heda, and Dr. Vijay Kanabar. I enjoyed these professors in particular because they taught me how to think strategically while implementing technology in my organization to transform ideas into reality. Professor Arakelian challenges his students to think at the level of a chief information officer or a chief technology officer in IT Strategy and Management (MET CS 782). With very little information, leaders at a C-Suite level have to make data-driven and visionary decisions for an organization. Arakelian teaches his students how to strategically think within the information technology industry, which I found to be unique.

In Agile Software Development (MET CS 634), I had the pleasure of having two great professors, Rachel Alt-Simmons and Raj Heda. These two brought their own unique style of teaching and their own perspective on the topic. Students were broken into teams to work together to develop a product with agile practices. Using tools like Adobe XD for wire-framing to prototype ideas and the user experience was cool and memorable. Rachel and Raj wanted their students to learn through doing, which allowed me to better understand concepts that they were teaching. What I learned in this course has translated to how I approach the agile environment, where I currently work.

Lastly, I would like to highlight Dr. Vijay Kanabar and Raj Heda. In IT Project Management (MET CS 632), I was able use my personal startup business idea as the main focus of my term project. Embracing the project manager role allowed me to think about more than just the product, and allowed greater focus on how to transform an idea into a reality. The knowledge learned in these three courses has been enjoyable and because of them, I feel confident not only in my workplace but also as I pursue my own personal business endeavors and ambitions.

Networking with your fellow students is pivotal when taking graduate courses at BU. I was able to create friendships and contacts in the technology industry by networking with my classmates in class, and those connections have already shown their value—I learned about technology offered at a classmate’s company that my organization may now leverage to improve our own products and processes.

Lastly, thanks to BU MET for such an awesome experience!