Commencement Spotlight: Class of 2023 profiles kick-off

Every student and resident in the Class of 2023 at the Henry M. Goldman School of Dental Medicine has a unique story to tell about their journey to dental school, their experiences at GSDM, and their plans for the future. To celebrate this diverse group of extraordinary graduates, we are excited to feature 12 members of the Class of 2023 in a series of profiles as we count down to Commencement.

Dr. Telmen Tumen-Ulzii ENDO 23

Dr. Telmen Tumen-Ulzii ENDO 23 is one of the very first people from his home country of Mongolia to pursue a specialty in endodontics — and now he wants to use what he’s learned on his educational journey to improve international dental education.

Although dentistry in Mongolia is developing rapidly, there are still stark differences between dental care in Mongolia and in the United States, Tumen-Ulzii said. In Mongolia, patients tend to only see dentists for emergencies as access to preventive care is limited. Students interested in pursuing dentistry as a career apply to dental school immediately after high school but have limited opportunities during their dental educations to learn and practice procedures, such as root canals.

Tumen-Ulzii plans to collaborate with the Mongolian Dental Association and the Ministry of Health of Mongolia to create continuing education (CE) courses. He has worked with both organizations previously, including helping to develop a CE course on single implants that was taught by Dr. Frank Setzer of Penn Dental Medicine.

“I think that dentistry in Mongolia still has a long way to go, but positive developments are underway to improve access to care and provide high quality dental education,” Tumen-Ulzii said. “I hope that I can contribute to its development in the future.”

One of Tumen-Ulzii’s goal is to introduce more endodontic knowledge to his peers in Mongolia. He said preserving natural teeth should be made a top priority.

“In many cases, endodontists are the last line of defense before a tooth is extracted,” he said. “As a dentist, I believe that preserving natural teeth is our duty. Sadly, in Mongolia and elsewhere, many teeth are extracted prematurely due to a lack of knowledge or inadequate instruments. It is our responsibility as dentists to educate our patients on the importance of saving their natural teeth, which help maintain the integrity of the jawbone.”

From the ample hands-on clinical experiences to the exposure of diverse backgrounds from his peers, Tumen-Ulzii said GSDM has given him an enjoyable and unforgettable experience.

“It’s been a great privilege to learn endodontics at the very place where the Warm Vertical Compaction technique was developed, a technique that is taught in every post-doctoral endodontic program in the U.S. and possibly worldwide,” he said. “Learning the WVC technique directly from Dr. Shilder’s own students is an opportunity I never thought I would have.”

Dr. Alex Cabrera DMD AS 23

When Dr. Alex Cabrera DMD AS 23 applied to GSDM, he did not think he was going to get in on his first try. His wife had recently learned she was pregnant and, with the frenzy of preparing for a newborn, the couple wasn’t expecting an acceptance letter. The couple thought he would get some interviewing experience, before they both applied to dental schools in the following application cycle. But to their surprise, he was accepted to join the DMD AS Class of 2023.

“I just want to say how thankful and grateful I feel to be accepted into the program because it’s an opportunity that I’ve been dreaming of for a long time and when I look back in my past, of course it’s something I wanted, but sometimes when you dream about something, you know want to be there, but you have no idea how and when and if it’s going to happen or not,” Cabrera said.

Despite the challenges of juggling his family with rigorous schooling, Cabrera said he is immensely proud of how much he has grown as a dental professional within the past two years.

“I accomplished that dream of mine and my experience at GSDM has been amazing. I feel like my knowledge has exploded with all the information and I get to know pretty good mentors of mine,” he said.

Originally from Mexico, Cabrera said his previous dental school experience did not emphasize the same level of in-depth knowledge as GSDM. Now, he feels that he truly understands the philosophy behind “why” specific techniques are used – not just “how” things are done.

“In my former dental school, I learned to do things but sometimes I wasn’t quite clear why was I doing those steps,” he said. “Why 30 seconds? Why applying this agent? Why this step before the other? And here at the GSDM, everything is way more in-depth. That way, you get to understand fully the whole concepts on what’s behind dentistry, not how to do things, but why we’re doing them that way.”

After Commencement, Cabrera is looking into going into private practice and entering dental academia. He said he loves helping others develop their skills and wants to continue being in an educational environment.

“I just want to express how happy I feel, now that I am almost done at the end of my journey, just to finish one journey and starting a new one,” Cabrera said.

Shefali Mangtani DMD 23

Warm and welcoming – those are the two words Shefali Mangtani DMD 23 used to describe the feel of her GSDM interview in 2019.

During that interview, Mangtani met with Dr. Larry Dunham DMD 83, assistant dean for diversity, equity, inclusion, & belonging and clinical assistant professor of general dentistry, and was drawn to his “compassionate and energic presence.” She knew she wanted to spend the next four years working with faculty like him.

“I have an immense appreciation for faculty and staff who have been willing to spend extra time with us, even outside of their normal work hours, to help us with a case, with lab work, or to understand a certain concept,” Mangtani said. “Their patience, hard work, and passion for helping us become competent clinicians motivates us to work harder.”

Mangtani said she has also loved every moment, big or small, that she’s shared with her peers.

“My happiest memories at school have been the little things: friends smiling and waving hi when I pass them in the hallways, chatting in the mornings with the central sterilization staff, working in the simulation lab, and bonding with other classmates the night before a practical exam,” she said. “I have felt lucky to be a part of such a fun, friendly, and supportive community and will deeply miss my classmates.”

Following Commencement, Mangtani said she plans to work in general dentistry while continuing to explore different specialties. If she could talk to her first-year self, she would tell herself not to be afraid to take chances and to push herself to pursue new things.

“You are here to learn, and your teachers are here to help. Don’t be afraid to ask questions and for extra guidance when needed and attend school events and special lectures when you can,” Mangtani said. “Volunteer when you can, take a teaching opportunity when you can, attend a school social when you can – this is the perfect time to expand your horizons, challenge yourself, explore as much as you can, and make long lasting friendships and connections.”

By Rachel Grace Philipson

Photo Credit: Dan Bomba, GSDM